While reviewing the temporary flight restrictions (TFR) in affect near
Sunday morning, I woke up early, but was not feeling motivated to drive the 3+ hours to
Turning west on I-295 south of
Nearly two hours later, we arrived on the base and walked what seemed like two miles to the show centerline. The place was unbelievably crowded. I haven’t been to a major air show like this for years. One thing I quickly noticed was that there was no number 4 Blue Angel in the lineup.
As we walked along the flight line, a Stearman and a Pitts put on a mock dogfight over the airfield as high explosives were fired on the ground. It was all quite amazing, with giant dark smoke clouds slowly rising and moving off to the south.
Fifteen minutes later, ‘Fat Albert’, the Blue Angels’ maintenance airplane, got the show going. The announcer said they’d be using the Jet-Assisted Take-Off procedure, but I don’t think they did. Once the big C-130 was back on the ground, the Blue Angel pilots marched out and were introduced to the crowd. After start-up, each pilot ran through his check lists, then as one, they all tested their smoke system. One by one, they taxied out to the runway, the formation flyers one direction and the solos the opposite.
The formation flyers took off to the east - with a very noticeable hole where number 4 would normally reside. The soloists took off shortly after to the west - one doing a dirty roll right above the runway and the other yanking the stick back and going vertical after a long acceleration just feet above the runway.
The show was fantastic. I was nearly at show center - Susan and Andrew returned to the play area - and I could clearly hear the announcer describing each maneuver. If only there was a number 4 plane, it would have been perfect.
After the show, they did their standard peeling break-off manuever before landing. It was so fast and so low, I didn't have time to react and shoot some photos. But then numbers 5 and 6 didn't land. For the record, number 5 is Lieutenant Commander Craig Olson from Kirkland, Washington, so we cheered extra loud for him. And then number 1 took off the opposite direction and flew under and around number 5. My best guess is that number 5 was having a problem verifying that his gear was down and locked. Eventually, 1, 5, and 6 all landed safely.
Then the rush began. Over 40,000 people all started racing to their cars. We decided to avoid the rush and walked down the flight line to see all the static aircraft displays and the performer planes. We were able to get about 50 feet from Patty Wagstaff, but not close enough to say, "Hi". We chatted with the Coast Guard guys and watched as some of the planes started to fly home. Unfortunately, the concession stands also packed up and we were pretty hungry.
We started walking to the car when we came across a McDonald's on base. We stopped in and it was packed. Not only was it packed, it was very slow. The McD's in Seattle gets packed, too, but I've never had to wait more than a few minutes. Not so here. Andrew and I went outside and played in the grass while Susan stood in line. I'm not kidding when I say we didn't see her again for 40 minutes, and she only had the drinks - she was still waiting on the food!
Finally we reached the car around sunset and started the long drive back to Vero. We arrived home just before 10:00PM. What a fabulous day it was.
UPDATE:
From the Aero-News Network (2 Nov 2008):
With only three airshows left in the 2008 season, the US Navy Blue Angels will have to make do with one less jet in the performances after two squadron members were removed from duty for having an 'inappropriate relationship.'
Refusing to name the parties in question, Capt. Tyson Dunkelberger, Public Affairs Officer for the Blue Angels, Thursday said simply that the relationship was between a man and a woman. The 133-member squadron consists of 110 men and 23 women; all six of the F/A-18 demonstration team pilots are men.
Dunkelberger added a military administrative hearing is pending to determine further disciplinary actions, which could include removal from the military, the Associated Press reported.
Dunkelberger said the squadron will conduct its last three air shows in November with only five jets instead of the usual six. Blue #4 will be the missing aircraft, though officials stated that does not necessarily mean the #4 pilot is the suspended aviator.
No comments:
Post a Comment