Saturday, November 8, 2008

Stuart Air Show

The Visiting Nurse Association sponsored an air show today in Stuart, Florida. I wanted to go for a few weeks, but we didn't buy tickets online. Today, the price at the gate increased by 50% - ouch. We decided to go anyway, but we looked at Google Maps and found an area east of the airport that should have decent views of the show - without actually going to the show.

As we approached the main entrance, I nearly ran into the car in front of me as an F-15 roared overhead at tree top level with full afterburners. It was shockingly fast and loud. I jumped in my seat and nearly accelerated into the car in front of us.

Heading east, we found the south road that we wanted and after a mile or two, found a country club with cars parked near the road in the grass. We pulled in, parked, and joined the crowd. After a few minutes, we pulled out our blanket and cooler and found a nice shady spot under a palm tree.

The show was fantastic and included some amazing planes and pilots. One plane that was not included on the web page was a B-25 bomber. My favorite, as always, is the F-16. One additional bonus for this show was when I discovered the 'air boss' frequency on my scanner. Once I found this, I could hear all the acts doing their shows and the air boss prepping the airspace for the next act.

The show concluded with a beautiful missing man formation of T-6 Texans flying over the crowd.

No comments: