Ground school covered the aerodynamics of losing an engine - specifically the critical engine - in a multiengine airplane. We also discussed all the systems of the Seminole. I liked the way my instructor worked the class time: he had me up at the whiteboard explaining things to him. He wasn't aware that that's what I've been doing for the past six months during my CFI training.
The flight was much more fun. :) We left Richmond (KRIC) and flew south to Petersburg (KPTB). Once there, we did three landings and takeoffs. Landing the Seminole was more of a slow descent until contacting the runway than the flare/stall landing done in lighter airplanes. Then it was off to the practice area for Steep Turns, Stalls, and Slow Flight. Finally, we returned to KRIC and landed.
In the simulator, we practiced procedures and maneuvers. The simulator has a couple advantages over the airplane: It is cheaper, it is harder (which makes the airplane easy to fly by comparison), and it has a pause button (allowing immediate discussion of a detail or omission).
During lunch, I walked next door to Martinair. I met a couple pilots and we talked for 30 minutes about life as a charter jet pilot. Both seemed very happy with their career choice. I asked if they had any suggestions about paying for a type rating in a jet. They suggested that I let someone else pay for it! Then they suggested to hold off with the type rating until an employer makes a job offer. Otherwise the rating without the time to go with it isn't worth much.
Tomorrow, school starts at 10:00. I'll be flying and simming once again.
1 comment:
David, I am happy for you. And, happy to be here in Virginia with family. Thank you for your thoughfulness to suggest doing this training here (even though the drive is a long one).
Post a Comment