Saturday, September 3, 2011

Honda Fit Front Brakes

Ever since I bought the Fit back in January 2010, I've had a few gripes with it. By far the biggest was the pulsating front brakes. During Spring Break of 2010, I took the Fit to the Honda dealer to have the brakes replaced and the rotors turned. As they were in the process of turning the rotors, they informed me that they did not have and pads in stock, so they'd have to put the non-OEM pads back on. DOH! If I'd known that, I would have waited until they were in stock!! So, they put on the old pads, and all was well... for a few months.

Recently, on our trip to Charleston, South Carolina, the pulsating drove me to distraction, and finally, action. When I got home, I did some research, ordered new rotors from a third party, and ordered pads from Honda. All the parts arrived after a few days, then it was off to the C&D B&B (and auto repair shop) for an upgrade.

Uncle Dave was busy with another auto customer when we arrived. He was doing a front brake job on a Toyota. He had just started the second side and was having some difficulty with a stuck part. I jumped in and we sprayed it, beat it, twisted it, and maybe even swore at it (nah, but maybe thought about it). It finally came loose and Dave wrapped up the project.

Andrew helped by rolling the tire out of the way
Dave needed to cool off, so I propped the repair zone for my brake job. When Dave was ready, I jacked up one side and started working. Dave stood by and guided me through the entire process. Within 20 minutes, I had both sides finished. I took it for a short test drive around the neighborhood, where I found Cathy, Susan, and Andrew walking. Andrew jumped in and we went out on the main road. At one point, I heard Andrew say, "Hallelujah!". Ahh, the feeling of smooth brakes!

No comments: