I recently scheduled a time-building block with a company in Denver that exclusively flies Light Sport Aircraft (LSA). With that in mind, I’ve been searching for a local LSA to rent. I found the Sling 2 in New Smyrna, but it didn’t work out for me. I also knew that Voyager Aviation in Merritt Island had an LSA.
Last week, while on my way to New Smyrna to fly the Sling, the owner called and cancelled the flight. During the call, we decided that maybe I could try again in August. So, instead of returning home, I went to Voyager Aviation.
When I arrived, I could see their LSA on the ramp, but I also saw two other LSAs. I went inside to talk to the attendant, but she didn’t have any information on the two new LSAs. I grabbed a business card and went home.
On Monday morning, I called Voyager Aviation and talked to Denise. She told me all about the two new Alto NG planes. I decided to schedule a demo flight for this morning.
Today, I arrived at the airport early so that I’d have time to review the checklist and/or the operating handbook. Denise sent me an email with the PDF version of the handbook, and I started reading. Being that they have Rotax engines, like the Sling, the numbers were all very familiar.
Once my instructor, Taylor, arrived, we headed out to the ramp. He told me that he has over 700 hours in LSAs. That’s nearly as much as my time in all types. He did the preflight and I watched and took mental notes.
| Voyager Aviation's Alto NG at Merritt Island Airport |
Merritt Island is a very busy uncontrolled airport with a large international training company on the field. Taylor knew that the pattern would be full, and it would be challenging to get into the air, so he took the controls. We eventually found a gap and he took off to the east.
I took the controls over the river, and we flew to the practice area just offshore. I did some 30 and 45 degree turns to get the feel for the plane, then we returned to the pattern. I landed four times, each a little better than the previous. After the final landing, I taxied back to the ramp, then Taylor took the controls to park.
Back inside, Taylor signed my logbook, and I talked to Denise about LSAs in general and signed up for three more flight. Between now and my next flight, I will be reviewing everything I can find about the Dynon Skyview display and modules. I plan to do some additional air work, then start doing approaches, in preparation for my time-building adventure in Colorado.
Flight Time: 0.9 hours
Total Time: 741 hours
No comments:
Post a Comment