Saturday, September 12, 2020

Utah Vacation-Zion Kolob Terrace Road

Today started very early for us. Andrew read that the International Space Station and several Starlink satellites were flying over Kanab this morning. We all got up and drove a few miles North to a place we expected would be dark enough to see them. When we arrived, it was chilly and difficult to stand outside to wait. But I’m glad we did. Right on schedule, a very distinct object appeared in the Northwest sky and continued on to the Southeast. It was brighter than any star in the sky. It was clearly the space station. The Starlink satellites weren’t as visible. I think we may have seen two or three flash briefly before finally giving up and heading back to the condo. I was thinking, wouldn’t it be nice if SpaceX could make them shinier, then after a few months in orbit, they could fade and no longer be reflective? I’d like that, but the astronomers wouldn’t.

The plan for the day was to explore the Kolob Terrace Road. This road passes in and out of Zion and travels about 16 miles before reaching a reservoir high in the mountains. On our way, we passed through Zion again. While stopped for tunnel passage, I heard a hiker who hadn’t even reached the trailhead say, “And there’s stairs, too?” I laughed out loud to that one.

On the Northwest side of Zion, we got off the main road and took the Kolob Terrace Road. We passed by the Kolob Marketplace and I was curious what they had, so I turned around and stopped. They were very small and had just the basics that campers and fishermen needed, but they also had something very unique. Behind the cashier, a video was playing showing hikers clinging to cliff walls while wearing harnesses that were attached to cables. It was very intriguing, and intimidating. I asked about it and the cashier said that the Marketplace runs a tour down to the canyon, where they guide guests along this precarious path. She handed me a brochure with all the details. I told her I’d think about it. It didn’t take too long to rule that one out; at least for this trip.

Eventually we arrived at Kolob Reservoir. I was surprised to see RVs lining the shore of the lake. It wasn’t obvious that there was anyone in charge. I think the RVers just pulled in and set up camp for free. Now that I think of it, I have seen many RVs parked off dirt roads. I think it is a common thing around here.

Another thing that interested me was the property ownership. In some places, we were in Zion. In others, we were in a National Forest. And in others, we were passing through private land. In any case, I was surprised to see cows in free roam, in yards, along the road, on the road. It was crazy. And they have no fear. They will just look at you as you wait for them to move along. In one case, we came across about a dozen cows, two dogs, and four cowboys; all on the road. We patiently waited for them to all carry on to the other side.

We stopped at Lava Point Overlook to see the view and to have lunch. Like most places, we could see for many miles, even into Zion Canyon.

Looking Southeast towards Zion Canyon from Lava Point Overlook

Back on the road, we headed back to the Zion Springdale entrance. Just outside of town, we once again found ourselves slowing down for a surprise. This time, there was a group of about six horses with riders taking what I presume was a guided tour. You just don’t know what you’ll see around the next bend.

Back in the main part of Zion, we climbed the mountain and passed through the tunnel to the East side again. There were many Bighorn sheep along the side of the road. As usual, there were too many things to see and not enough pull offs along the side of the road. 

Outside the park is a farm with Bison. Every evening that we passed, the herd has been grouped near a pond and windmill, near the highway. Today, we stopped and took some pictures. One Bison decided to cool off in the pond while we stood by the fence and watched.

A Bison enters the pond for a cool drink of water

With dusk quickly approaching, we thought we’d give Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park another visit and fly the drone. Andrew got all set up in the back as I drove to a spot just outside the park. When Andrew tried to connect his phone to the controller, it wouldn’t connect. Then we realized that he had just updated his phone to Android 11 and the drone app was incompatible. Grr.

Click the photo below to see the Photo Gallery.

No comments: