Thursday, April 9, 2009

Troublesome GPS

Ever since March 8, I've been having problems with my portable GPS. When Daylight Savings Time (DST) began, my GPS fell an hour behind. Since it is and Windows CE device, I tried changing the time through the computer part of the device. This worked for a while, but as soon as I re-entered GPS mode, the device would reset its clock based on the time acquired from the GPS signal. After calling the GPS several not-so-nice names, I decided the best I could do was set the time zone to Atlantic. At least it showed the correct time.

Until yesterday, that is. While driving to Sanford, I noticed that the clock was off by an hour again. I went into a mini tirade, complaing to my father-in-law how the device didn't understand DST, that I looked for an upgrade but couldn't find one, and that I had to set the time zone to Atlantic to get the correct time to display. I unmounted it from my windshield and handed it to Susan. She poked through the various menus, but couldn't figure out the problem. It was still set to Altantic time zone, so why is it wrong all of a sudden?

Then it hit me. GEORGE BUSH messed up my GPS!

Last year, the U.S. changed the start and end dates of DST. The software on my GPS is older than that, so it didn't change to DST until last weekend. Changing it back to Eastern time zone fixed the time descrepency and now it is working great once again. At least it will until we fall back, then it will be wrong again for a couple weeks.

No comments: